Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Monday, April 25, 2016

An Uncivil War

I set up the card-driven ECW game Unhappy King Charles the other night for a play through to refresh my memory of the rules and try out the new coloured chits I'd got for the particular purpose of using with it.

UKC is an interesting game: the focus is more on building areas of influence than on battles - these being costly and risky - so progress is incremental rather than dramatic. It's not ideal for solo play unless you're a real ECW buff (which I'm not - my interest is casual) but I was enjoying it nonetheless.

In the early war the biggest drama was in the South and the Midlands. Waller dumped the Royalists out of Cornwall while Rupert a bit further north took Nottingham by siege.

There was more to-ing and fro-ing, with Essex besieging Reading which brought Rupert haring down to sort things out. Rupert's efforts were spectacular, and by early 1843 (ahem, 1643 - Editor Ray) Essex and Manchester had been ousted, had had their armies dispersed, and had left Rupert in position to beseige London, with no one around able to do very much about it.

King Charles is in rather happier state at this point than the game title would allow...


Slightly agog at the pace of this action, a light suddenly went on in the dimness. A quick check of the rules showed that I'd stuffed up: Rupert was not allowed to command an army of quite this size just yet. Ouch.

Yes Rupert, it is too good to be true!

I may have got the hang of something, but it certainly wasn't the rules! Too far gone for a re-do, I've called it game over. Next time I'll have to abide by the rules more civilly...

Oh well :)


7 comments:

  1. Looks a great game, perfect for a mini campaign, Rupert certainly took his time getting into action!! I'd have sacked him for taking that much time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha, just saw what you saw! Cheers Ray :D

      Delete
  2. Aaron! Dude! I thought maybe the earthquake got you, happy to see your okay.

    I had this game and never punched it and sold it for some reason, but I always keep coming back to it. It definitely is different. It does have a cult following. Not to many games out there that portray the entire war like this one does.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still around Kevin, but a bit short of time at the mo!

      Delete
  3. This is why we do test runs but it does sound good, poor Rupert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor old Rupert, restricted by a number of old chaps.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...