Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Boxes of Goodness, 1

My pre-Christmas orders are being separated into their various lots.  This is my Gallic army, made up of the very nice Tin Soldier and Xyston infantry (which match each other superbly) and Xyston cavalry.  I'm not quite so impressed with the cavalry - it's going to be a mission getting them to fit properly on their horses, by the looks of it - but it should be a fine army when it's finished.

I really like the figures in the Tin Soldier Gallic range (and their service was excellent).  Unfortunately, while lovely figures, the cavalry was closer to 20mm in size, hence the decision to use Xyston for the mounted.


I'm quite excited about getting a paintbrush to these fellows as I've been needing Gauls for a long time.  I will be using the beautiful painting of Scott MacPhee as my model, but I fear I shall fall some way short of his high standards!

There's also the small matter of finding the time to do them!  Never mind; rainy days and all that...

Before I finish, I'd like to again mention the wonderful customer service of Judy at Tin Soldier and Larry at Brookhurst Hobbies.  They have been very helpful to me at all times, despite the inconvenience I no doubt cause them.

5 comments:

  1. I know nothing about Tin Soldier, but now you tell they might be compatible with Xyston, I'll go have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The infantry are compatible, but the cavalry aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd always thought that Tin Soldier were too sui generis to mix with anything else. Their cavalry is quite tall. Corvus Belli's the way to go, I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll upload a couple of comparison shots, Mark. Corvus Belli would've been a good option for cavalry. Their foot though is perhaps just a little too small to mix well with the Xyston I already had, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't argue with you there! I got some Xyston cavalry shields for my CB mounted, and I could only use the smallest.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...